A melting pot of history and culture, India is a diverse country where people from different religions, ethnicities and backgrounds co-exist. The country is steeped in rich history, all of which has a left a mark in the form of beautiful monuments, palaces and cultural heritages that reflects ancient India and its glorious past. Let’s take a stroll in the magnificent culture embedded in these beautiful historical places.
1. Bhangarh Fort, RajasthanBuilt by Sawai Madho Singh, rumour has it that this fort is haunted. There are several versions of how the fort is floating with ghosts. Although, the place is a famous tourist attraction and a great picnic spot for families, visiting the fort after sunset is forbidden. It is said that the place is haunted by the ghosts of a tantrik and the princess of the castle. Though the presence of spirits is debatable, the fort is living proof of old Indian folklore tales.
What better way to explore this iconic fort, that with our exciting Rajasthan Tour Packages!
2. Basgo, LehOverlooking the serene river Indus, Basgo town is a beautiful place where you can catch up on your day dreaming and leave the real world behind. But, there is a fascinating history behind this quaint town. It is the seat of the Namgayal family. The town separates Ladakh into north and south regions. The Namgyal dynasty of Ladakh was founded by Bhagan, a Basgo king, who reunited Ladakh by overthrowing the king of Leh. He took the surname Namgyal (meaning victorious) and founded a new dynasty which still survives today.
Check out the best Leh Tour Packages to plan your trip!
3. Hampi, KarnatakaWhat is now a relaxed village used to be one of the greatest empires of Indian history. Home to some extremely captivating ruins that date back to the 14th century comprise of 500 monuments. When the then ruler Rama Raya was defeated and killed by a confederation of Muslim kings, the capital was ransacked and reduced to shambles within 6 months by the victorious Mohamedans who left it desolate, resembling more a ghost city than a former captital. Archaeologists are trying to unveil some beautiful preserved monuments of this world heritage site. And that makes this place even more fascinating.
Check out our exciting Karnataka Tour Packages to plan a trip!
4. Khajuraho Temples, Madhya PradeshIf you’re curious about how the Kama sutra originated in India, a visit to Khajuraho is a must. Erotica thrives here with over 20 temples devoted to sexuality and sex. The temples are best known for their erotic sculptures. But more than anything they are a depiction of love, life and worship. The place offers an insight into Hindu faith and tantric practices.
Take a trip with our exciting Madhya Pradesh Tour Packages!
5. Tughlaqabad, New Delhi Found in the heart of India’s capital, Tughlaqabad bears an uncanny resemblance to the ruins of Mohenjodaro Harappa. The splendid ruins show us the intelligence and engineering skills of ancient times. The sheer size and grandeur is bound to leave you impressed!
All of these stupendous monuments just go to show that there is always more than meets the eye. Especially in a colourful country like India. Happy sightseeing!