Diwali is the festival of bling and is celebrated with opulence in most of the cities in India. People burst crackers and greet each other by exchanging gifts and sweets. If you are bored of celebrating Diwali the conventional way then here are 5 things you could do to celebrate it in a different manner.
- Mumbai is definitely one of the best places in Maharashtra to see a colourfully lit city for Diwali. But if you’re tired of the chaos and commotion of city life during Diwali, take a trip to Purushwadi, located in the Ahmednagar district of Maharashtra. The children create beautiful sand castles in the verandas of their houses!
- The travel to Varanasi should definitely be on your bucket list! the Ghats are lit up with thousands of diyas & the chants of mantra’s alluring goddess Laxmi fill the atmosphere making it the most spiritual experience. Varanasi is rightly titled the ‘City of Lights’ Diwali.
- Diwali is all about gifting and spreading the festive cheer to bring a smile on the face of your loved ones. This year how about making the underprivileged children smile? Invest the money you have saved for fire crackers on this instead to share some light with these kids!
- In Maharashtra there is an event known as the ‘Diwali Pahaat’. The theme of this event is to preserve our values and our music. There are various speakers who attend the event and many Indian classical music artists perform here as well. This event is hosted early in the morning to rings the festive season of Diwali and it’s a must visit!
- There are many clay modelling and Diya making workshops happening in and around the city. How about learning how to make these diyas and clay models at home as an interesting family activity? If you don’t want to make your own diyas, you will find diyas made by blind and handicapped people at various places. Purchase some these to make their Diwali brighter!
- We all clean our houses during Diwali, this year make a list of things that you want to do away with. Look at donating it to the hungry or the poor and share your joy with others!
- Pets are very sensitive to sound, and the loud sound of firecrackers really scares them. They also suffer from respiratory issues due to the carcinogenic smoke of the fire crackers. Take them to a destination away from the city, we bet you will love spending time pampering and playing with them.