They call it the ‘Land of Gods’. When you see Uttarakhand, you will know as to why the Gods would choose to make this heavenly place their abode. Nestled in the lap of the enchanting Himalayas and boasting of a cultural ethos that displays simplistic living in the midst of nature and harmony – Uttarakhand is a land of sublime beauty and soul-enriching spirituality. There is so much beauty here that a trip to Uttarakhand should be on your bucket list of places to explore in India. If you are already on your way to plan a trip, here is a list of places to visit in Uttarakhand.
The state capital, Dehradun is a picturesque and lively city surrounded with great views of the Himalayas and river Ganga flowing on either side of the city.
- Must visit: Don’t miss the beautiful Forest Research Institute campus in Dehradun.The colonial building is very picturesque. They are open between 9.00 am to 5.30 pm.
- Things to do: Shop for pretty woollens, handicrafts, handlooms, juices, jams, jellies and clothes in the local market. Don’t forget to try out the delicious Garhwali food at the local restaurants.
- Best time to visit: Plan a trip between March to June to beat the summer heat as the weather is pleasant.
2. Mussoorie – Among the most popular places to visit in Uttarakhand
Touted to be the ‘Queen of Hills’ the charming hill station of Mussoorie, is as pretty as it gets with narrow winding lanes, charming markets and great views of the mountains. Mussoorie is located at a distance of about 38 km from Dehradun and the ride uphill is amazingly scenic and is one of the places to visit in Uttarakhand.
- Must visit the place: Don’t miss the stunning Kempty Falls near Mussoorie.
- Things to do: Walk through the winding lanes of the tiny town and explore its beauty. Also, try your luck in spotting resident author Ruskin Bond, who enjoys a stroll through the markets
- Best time to visit: April to June are the best months to come here. If you want to see snowfall, plan a trip during the winter months.
Recommended Read: Top 50 hill stations in India
Nestled snugly between the mountains, right in the lap of Naini Lake, lies the beautiful hill station of Nainital. Known to be one of the best places to visit in Uttarakhand, this tiny hamlet is surrounded by mountains from all sides offering stunning vistas of the majestic Himalayas.
- Must visit place: The sparkling Naini Lake offers a grand boating ride which is unmissable.
- Things to do: Shop for beautiful Tibetan handicrafts, woollens, handicrafts, jewellery and knickknacks in the shops on Mall Road. If you love adventure, there are many trekking routes and trails starting from Nainital. These routes offer splendid views of the mountains.
- Best time to visit: Nainital has good weather throughout the year, however, most people flock to this hill station between March to June.
Our Uttarakhand holiday packages will acquaint you with the quaint beauty of Uttarakhand.
4. Rishikesh – Among the best spiritual places to visit in Uttarakhand
For the spiritualist in you, one of the places to visit in Uttarakhand is Rishikesh. This charming town exudes a rustic touch and spiritual energy that is infectious.
- Must visit place: One of the interesting places to see in Uttarakhand is the Beetles Ashram. While you are surrounded by serenity, do make it a point to see the graffiti on the walls. Entry fee is Rs 150 per person
- Things to do: A thrilling white water rafting in Rishikesh is an experience of a lifetime and is one of best things to do in Uttarakhand. Looking for a diving experience, take a dip in the holy Ganga and feel spiritually cleansed with the divine experience.
- Best time to visit: You can go to Rishikesh anytime you feel like a holiday, however, the best time to visit is from August to October.
Haridwar is one of the holiest places in the country. A trip here during your Uttarakhand holiday should be on your itinerary. This bustling town is where you get your ultimate dose of spiritual cleansing and offers you great inner peace.
- Must visit place: Har ki Pauri ghat is a must visit place while you are in Uttarakhand.
The Brhmakhund, which is visited by hordes of devotes is known to have one of the most amazing arts and is a surreal experience.
- Things to do: Take a dip in the holy Ganga and also enjoy a serene boat ride there. Eat the delicious local food to get a real feel of the place.
- Best time to visit: Though summers are hot, it gets pleasant here once the sun sets. The best time is between the cooler months of August to October
6. Jim Corbett National Park
One of the best places to visit in Uttarakhand is Jim Corbett National Park. Earlier known as Haley’s National Park, Jim Corbett is renowned for its Bengal Tigers. This park is home to more than 500 species of birds, animals and more than 400 types of plants trees. A boost in Uttarakhand tourism is also due to the number of visitors that head to the park to see the elusive tiger.
Our Uttarakhand tour packages will show you the best of Jim Corbett.
- Things to do: Explore the beautiful wilderness with safaris organized in the park.Hiking trails are organized through the park’s dense buffer zones which are a real unforgettable experience.
- Best time to visit: Since the park is divided into various zones, each of them has its own seasons. If bird-watching interests you, plan a trip during winter. Tigers are also known to take a stroll when it gets pleasant. Summer is the best time, though it gets hot here. This is when all the animals are out and about looking for some shade and a drink of water
- Fees: You will need to pay Rs 4500/ jeep to enter the park.
Suggested Read: Retreat to Jim Corbett National Park
One of the places to see in Uttarakhand is Ranikhet. Ranikhet is a tiny hamlet in the Himalayan wonder which has a heavy colonial hangover. Beautiful stone buildings of the British Era add a great charm to the little town.
- Must visit place: Tour the British Era buildings here found in plenty. There are also a host of beautiful temples in and around Ranikhet which is very charming and should not be missed.
- Things to do: Ranikhet has several tiny local off-road trekking routes offering scenic vistas. A trek here can be very refreshing and enjoyable.
- Best time to visit: Early winters, starting from September until November is the best time to visit Ranikhet.
This magnificent hill station offers a panoramic view of the Himalayan ranges and an interesting place to visit in Uttarakhand. This picturesque hamlet is a great honeymoon destination as well.
- Must visit place: A trip to the beautiful Chattrakund lake should be on your places to see here.
- Things to do: Auli is the skiing and snowboarding hub of India. You can try your hand at skiing here. There are different courses to learn the sport. Try your lick at mountaineering here and you will have an unforgettable experience.
- Best time to visit: You can visit Auli anytime of the year. However, winters can be extremely cold and you will need to bundle up.
Chamoli is also known as the “Abode of Gods’. This beautiful town is well-known for its lovely shrines, temples and charming Garhwali traditions. Chamoli is also the town known to spark the famous ‘Chipko’ movement.
- Must visit place: Head to the Valley of Flowers and be surrounded by the most amazing sight of beautiful blooms
- Things to do: Enjoy the cable car ride here. The ride is very scenic and enjoyable. Trekking is another option to indulge in this wonderful town.
- Best time to visit: Head to Chamoli before the onset of Summers, between October to March.
The pretty cantonment town was founded by the British Viceroy and bears his name. If a quiet time amidst nature is your thing, then this is a place to visit in Uttarakhand.
- Must visit places: Head to the Gharwali Museum that houses a collection of arms, rifles, army uniforms, and some rare photographs of the days gone by. The museum is open from 9.00 am to noon and 3.00 pm to 6.00 pm.
- Things to do: Enjoy a peaceful walk or simply sit and stare at the beauty of nature. You can also go on the forest trail to explore the wilderness of this beautiful place.
- Best time to visit: July to September is one the best times to visit, apart from the summer season. Winters can be extremely cold. So plan your Uttarakhand trip accordingly.
10 Most Beautiful Places to Visit in Uttarakhand - Land of the Gods
Here's why Uttarakhand should be on your bucket list. If you have already planned a trip, here is a list of places to visit in Uttarakhand.