|1||Mussoorie||Trekking trails like Kempty Falls ,Night safari and camping|
|2||Auli||skiing, snowboarding , Gondola rides, trekking and mountaineering|
|3||Chamoli||great trails like Roopkund trek, Kuaripass trek, artistic temple watch, rock climbing|
|4||Nainital||Visit Sher-ka-dandaEco Cave Gardens,Spot rare animals like snow leopard in the Naini Zoo.|
|5||Rishikesh||White water rafting,Visit a local ashram, take yoga classes.|
|6||Lansdowne||Walk through the small trails and offbeat paths, try some authentic local food|
|7||Sattal||Bird watching, Butterfly museum, kayak on the lake|
|8||Naukuchiatal||Boating, camping at the lakeside|
|9||Bhimtal||Indulge in angling, Boating on the calm waters of Bhimtal Lake|
|10||Almora||Visit the 800-year-old Katarmal sun temple, Catch a stunning sunset at Bright End Corner.|
Uttarakhand is truly the Himalayan paradise. As far as the eye can see, there is beauty. This magnificent place is bordered by Tibet and Nepal in the north and Himachal in the west and is a jewel in the Indian crown, as this little state offers stunning views of the Himalayas from every nook and corner. The state is filled with some of the best hill stations known to us. Here is a roundup of the best hill stations in Uttarakhand Tourism for you to plan your next Uttarakhand holidays.
Here is a short list of the Best Hill Stations in Uttarakhand:
The charming ‘Queen of Hills’ is the pride of Uttarakhand. Nestled amidst the undulating Himalayan ranges, this quaint town seems like a nest of peace.
- How to get there: Fly to Dehradun and take a taxi to Mussorie, which is about 54 km from the capital
- Things to do in Mussoorie: Explore the exciting night safari and camping in the Mussoorie wildlife sanctuary, Discover exciting trekking trails like Kempty Falls trek and Benog trek and take a dip in the clear waters of Kempty falls.
The town is renowned for its gorgeous landscape and rich cultural heritage. It is home to some stunning hill temples and one of the best hill stations in Uttarakhand.
- How to get there: Dehradun is the nearest airport and is about 173 km away. Alternatively, you can take a train to Kathgodam which is 38kms away from Almora or to Haldwani which is 45 km away.
- Things to do Almora: Visit the 800-year-old Katarmal sun temple and admire its stunning architecture. Other unique temples are GoluDevta and Nanda Devi temples. Catch a stunning sunset at Bright End Corner.
One of the best things to do in Uttarakhand is winter activities like skiing and snowboarding and Auli is the best place to be. This beautiful town offers panoramic views of the Himalayan ranges.
- How to get there: Once your reach Dehradun, take a bus or taxi to Joshimath. You have the option of taking a cable car up to Auli or take the winding road as well.
- Things to do in Auli: Try your hand at skiing snowboarding Witness the panoramic Himalayan view from a Gondola for an unforgettable experience. Auli also offers great trekking and mountaineering routes.
Known for its pristine lake, Bhimtal is a beautiful gem in the hilly state and one of the best hill stations in Uttarakhand. The magnificent hills surrounded by the lush green border of the lake is a mesmerizing sight! A trip to Bhimtal is a must on your Uttarakhand holidays.
- How to get there: Fly to Pant Nagar airport and take a taxi to Bhimtal, which is about 58 km away.
- Things to do here: Boating on the calm waters of Bhimtal Lake is a great experience. You can also indulge in angling here, with required permissions. Indulge in adventure activities like rappelling and rock climbing for adventure holidays.
Naukuchiatal gets its name from the pristine nine-cornered lake nestled right between the tiny hamlet. Unpolluted and offering soothing solitude, this is a perfect place for some quiet time.
- How to get there: Once you reach Dehradun airport, you can take a taxi to Naukuchiatal, which is around 6 hours away. You can also take a train to Kathgodam and then travel 35kms to this beautiful hill station in Uttarakhand
- Things to do here: Experience sheer joy with boating in this clear and pristine lake. Enjoy camping at the lakeside for an unforgettable experience. One of the best things to do here is to sit back and relax with a soothing drink and soak in the beauty of nature and the stunning mountain ranges all around you.
As the name suggests, Sat-Tal means a cluster of seven lakes. This cluster of lakes is home to a large number of migratory birds. Exploring this magnificent hill station in Uttarakhand is one of the things to do on your Uttarakhand holiday.
- How to get there: Pant Nagar is the nearest airport and an hour’s drive away from Sattal.
- Things to do here: If you are passionate about bird watching, this town is home to some of the prettiest birds in the Himalayan region. You should also head to the Butterfly museum or for the adventure seeker in you, kayak on the lake. Sattal is also great photography destination. Try camping by the lake on a cold night for a surreal experience.
Part of the ‘Kedar Khand’ and situated in Central Himalaya, Chamoli is where the famous ‘Chipko’ movement began. This town is great for adventure activities and pilgrimage.
- How to get there: From Dehradun airport, Chamoli is 222 km away. You can take a train to Rishikesh and take a 202 km journey via road. One of the best things to do in Uttarakhand is to plan a road trip from Delhi and explore the beautiful sights of this state.
- Things to do here: Chamoli offers great trails like Roopkund trek, Kuaripass trek and others. There are many pretty and artistic temples in and around Chamoli which are worth exploring. You can enjoy other adventure activities like rock climbing and skiing in winters here.
Nestled pretty between a cluster of mountains amidst Naini Lake, sits the pretty Nainital town. Nainital gets its name from the Naina Devi temple situated in the town. Nanital is one of the most popular hill stations In Uttarakhand
- How to get there: The nearest airport is Pant Nagar. You can also take a train to Kathgodam and rent a taxi to Nanital.
- Things to do here: Visit Sher-ka-danda, Tiffin top, Guano Hills and Eco Cave Gardens in Nainital. Spot rare animals like snow leopard in the Naini Zoo.
Suggested Read: 10 Most Beautiful Places To Visit In Uttarakhand
9. Lansdowne – One Of The Best Hill Stations In Uttarakhand
This tiny hill station named after the British Viceroy, Lansdowne, offers stunning views of the Chaukhamba and Kedarnath range. The hills are perched with thick Pine and Deodar forests offering great sunset views and one of best hill stations in Uttarakhand.
- How to get there: The best way to get here is to take a train to Kotdwar and rent a taxi to reach Lansdowne.
- Things to do here: Walk through the small trails and offbeat paths to explore the beauty of the place. You have to try some authentic local food once in Lansdowne.
Apart from the bewitching topography, Ranikhet attracts visitors due to its strong colonial hangover. Charming British era buildings with great architecture dot the lovely town and one of the best places to visit in Uttarakhand.
- How to get there: Ranikhet is 151 ks from Dehradun airport. Take a train to Kathgodam or Ramnagar which is 43 km and 41 km from Ranikhet.
- Things to do here: Try exciting paragliding offering stunning views in this charming town. Camp on the hill slopes and watch the stars for a surreal experience. Visit the local temples to admire their artistic beauty.
11. Valley of Flowers
For the nature lovers, Valley of Flowers is truly a paradise. This famous World Heritage Site is home to some of the most stunning floral species in the world. Uttarakhand tourism has seen a hike in visitors because of the surreal beauty this hill station holds.
- How to get there: Joshimath is the closest town to this hill station in Uttarakhand and once you reach the town, you will have to make another journey Govind Ghat. From there it is another 13 km to reach the valley.
- Things to do here: Plan a scenic trek to the valley. It can be tiring but it will definitely be worth your time. When in the Valley of flowers, explore the rarest species of flowers special to the region here. You can also camp here amidst the natural beauty of this place and experience sheer bliss.
12. Hemkund Sahib
Close to the mesmerizing Valley of Flowers lies the holy shrine of Hemkund Sahib. This is the highest Gurudwara of the Sikh community and one of the best hill stations in Uttarakhand.
- How to get there: The closest town is Govind Ghat and you will need to either trek or take a pony ride to reach this beautiful place
- Things to do here: A dip in the holy lake cures all your ailments, as per local belief.
Rishikesh is the adventure and spiritual hub of the state. A stay in the charming town is an enriching experience. It is a must visit hill station in Uttarakhand
- How to get there: Rishikesh is 35 km from Dehradun Airport. You can also take a train to Haridwar. One of the best and exciting things to do in Uttarakhand is to plan a road trip
- Things to do here: Experience the thrill of white water rafting in one of the best rafting sites in the world. Visit a local ashram, speak to the spiritual gurus for a bit of soul cleansing. Take up a yoga course to enrich your health.
The highest hill station in the Kumaon, Binsar is surreally beautiful. The region is covered in thick rhododendron and oak forests adding to its charm and beauty.
- How to get there: Pant Nagar is the closest airport and Kathgodam is the nearest railway station.
- Things to do here: Witness panoramic view of the Himalayas from Zero Point.Visit Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary to see rare species of birds, leopards, black bear and Himalayan porcupine. Explore the architectural marvel of the 13th century Binsar temple.
15. Abbot Mount
This hill station in Uttarakhand is a beautiful hamlet filled with some beautiful flora and fauna and a haunted cottage
One of the prettiest hill station in Uttarakhand, the unspoilt beauty of pretty Chamba has to be seen to be believed. The tiny hill station decorated with pine and deodar forests offers stunning views of the mountains and blissful moments with your loved ones.
- How to get there: The nearest airport is Gaggal Airport in Dharamsala and Pathankot is the nearest railway station.
- Things to do here: Chamba offers exciting adventure activities like camping, trekking and rock climbing.
While these some of the best hill stations in Uttarakhand, here are some you should explore while on your Uttarakhand holiday and walk down the road less travelled
One of the least explored hill stations in Uttarakhand, Chaukori is filled with orchards, tea gardens and some amazing sunrise and sunsets
This hill station in Uttarakhand is known for its unexplored caves and temples.If you wish to explore caves and dig into the history, then Gangolihat is the right place for you. There are numerous caves and hidden temples that are sure to satisfy the wanderer in you.
Jageshwar is filled with some amazing temples dating back to the Gupta Dynasty and is an important hill station in Uttarakhand.
Also known as the Switzerland of India, Kausani is one of the prettiest hill station in Uttarakhand. Filled with lush green meadows that sway along the calm breezes of the town, Kausani does not leave a stone unturned. It is one of the most peaceful places to visit in Uttarakhand to disconnect yourself from the world and spend some time alone.
Think snow clad mountains, amazing scenery and hikes and treks in some of the unexplored lands. This is not Europe but Pauri, one of the hill stations in Uttarakhand.
Secluded, isolated and the perfect place if you want a quiet holiday while on your Uttarakhand holiday.
Camping, trekking and exploring some of the best forts in Uttarakhand are the best things to do in Dhanaulti. If you are an adventure freak, then Dhanaulti is the right place for you. This place not only features some amazing adventure activities but also offers some beautiful panoramic views of the town.
Also one of the rarely visited hill stations in Uttarakhand, Askot is known for housing about 80 forts belonging to various princes and rulers. Make a trip to the Deer Sanctuary when you are in Askot.
Close to Nainital, Pangot is known for bird watching and one of the best things to do in Uttarakhand if you enjoy wildlife photography.
Also located near Nainital, Bhowali is known to have some unexplored trekking routes. This hill station in Uttarakhand is a must visit if you want a laid back holiday
Exquisite flora and fauna, history and temples just a few things you will come across in Champawat. If you are a fan of history and architecture, then Champawat is the right place for you. Featuring some ancient temples with intricate architecture amidst wonderful surrounding, this hill station is one of the best among the ones in Uttarakhand.
This hill station in Uttarakhand lies near River Kali and a must visit place in Uttarakhand if you want to escape the cities and the noise.
A hill station that was built by Katyri Kings, you will be surrounded by the view of the Himalayas and is filled with some historical sites.
Ever wanted to capture the apple orchards with your camera and want a break from the city? This hill station in Uttarakhand is the best place to explore.
Fill up your senses with the sights of apple orchards, fir, deodar trees and the sounds of birds chirping at this beautiful hill station in Uttarakhand.
Some brilliant landscapes, walking trails and a town surrounded by mythology, Lohaghar is one of the offbeat hill stations to explore in Uttarakhand.
33. Patal Bhuvaneshwar
A mystical hill station in Uttarakhand, Patal Bhuveneshwar is said to be the home of over 33 crore deities. This is something that has to be seen at least once in your lifetime.
If you are in Uttarakhand, one of the best things to do is to stroll the orchards that are a thing of beauty. Ramgarh is one of the best places to do that as the hill station is filled with apple, apricot, peach orchards all around.
Once a refugee camp, Rudrapur is surrounded by some of the best-known temples of Uttarakhand. This tiny village in the quaint state of Uttarakhand is one of the places you must-visit if you fancy a peaceful vacation. With beautiful lakes and rivers accompanied by stunning weather, Rudrapur is one of the charming hill stations in Uttarakhand.
A gateway to many other hill stations in Uttarakhand, Joshimath has its own charm as it is filled with temples, trails and is an important base for trekkers.
An important religious place, Uttarkashi is also a gorgeous hill station in Uttarakhand. Head to the Nehru Institute of Mountaineering and take a basic course in this sport.
Situated near the banks of rivers Yamuna and Tons, Chakrata is a hill station to be explored. Hills, forests and trails will welcome you on your trip here.
Surround yourself with snow covered mountains, pleasant weather and a brilliant holiday spot in this hill station in Uttarakhand.
Close to Dharchula, Didihat is one of the many unexplored hill stations in Uttarakhand. Administered in the stunning Pithoragarh, Didihat is one of the most peaceful hill stations in Uttarakhand. With very less population and home to some beautiful sceneries, Didihat is one of the beautiful hill stations in Uttarakhand.
One of the best things to do in Uttarakhand is to explore Jim Corbett National Park and Jeolikot is where you should find a base before you head there.
If you want a quaint holiday, Kantal is the perfect hill station in Uttarakhand for you.
Ever wanted to try your hand at rock climbing? Mukteshwar is the perfect hill station in Uttarakhand for you. Surrounded by rocks everywhere, this place is perfect for anyone who wishes to go on a trek. Be it mountain climbing or any other adventure related to the mountains, Mukteshwar has got it all covered.
This is the perfect place if you love trekking. This hill station in Uttarakhand is one of the best places in Uttarakhand. Nestled right against the beautiful Himalayas, Munsiyari offers some scintillating views of the mountains. Covered in the snow for a larger part of the year, this hill station in Uttarakhand is one of its treasures.
Lakes, mountains, waterfalls; some of the best sights of this striking hill station in Uttarakhand. Be it the serene lakes, massive mountains, or the rumbling waterfalls; Pithoragarh is one of the most tranquil places in Uttarakhand. This hill station in Uttarakhand is famous for its beautiful nature and striking weather that offers you peace and tranquillity.
One of the best places to visit in summers to beat the heat, this hill station is the place to be. Head to Tehdi Dam while you are here. If you are fed-up of the scorching temperatures in the cities, head over to Tehri. It has an amazing drop in temperatures even during summers, making it one of the reasons to visit this place.
Surrounded by some of the best-known temples of this region, Gopeshwar is a must visit place in Uttarakhand if you are on a religious tour here. The temples residing in Badrinath is believed to be one of the most sacred temples in India. However, this place is open to devotees only for half part of the year, rest of the half, it is covered by snow!
One of the Char Dhams, this hill station is known for its beautiful temple, the Alaknanda river and the tranquillity that surrounds this place.
Another religious spot in Uttarakhand, head to Gangotri and get a chance to see the submerged Shivling in the middle of the river. Nestled on the banks of the river Bhagirathi, Gangotri is a town of utmost importance in Uttarakhand. It is one of the most popular pilgrimage towns among the hill stations in Uttarakhand.
Make a way to this hill station in Uttarakhand and you will be enchanted by the natural beauty of this divine place. The starting point of the beautiful Yamuna River and also the abode of Goddess Yamuna, Yamunotri is a sacred spot in Uttarakhand. Featuring massive mountain peaks and glaciers accompanied by gushing rivers, Yamunotri is a beautiful hill station in Uttarakhand.