The kingdom of kangaroos and koalas, stunning wildlife, grand vistas, and exciting adventure activities, Australia is a haven for the adventure junkie, nature lover, beach bum or a party goer. This mesmerising continent is filled with surreal beauty and exploring this nature’s jewel should be on your holiday bucket list. A holiday in Australia cannot be a bad idea, trust us! Australian tourism is popular with global travellers for its grand landscapes, stunning beaches and untouched islands. There is so much to see and do here, that you would love each and every movement of it. To get you started, here are the absolute best places to visit in Australia!
St. Patrick’s Cathedral
Historically known as the City of Churches, Adelaide cities much of the architecture in the inner city is retained from the colonial era. The charming city is one of the best places to visit in Australia, as you get to do just about everything you want in the city.
- Want to wine and dine your loved one? Head to many of Australia’s famous wine regions and taste some flavourful wine.
- For the nature lover in you, explore Adelaide hills which will remind you of the villages you read about in your story books
- If you ever wanted to see a Panda, this is the best time to head to the Adelaide Zoo.
Sydney Opera House
A modern city with a long history, Sydney is defined by its scenic harbour. The bustling megapolis is one of the most vibrant attractions in Australia.
- Remember Finding Nemo? Well, the famed Sydney Harbour Bridge is where Dory takes Marlin to find Nemo in Pixar’s animated. You should take a cruise around the harbour for a fun day.
- The iconic Sydney Opera House is one of the best places to visit in Australia.
- Sydney is known to have some of the best beaches and Bondi beach is the place to be. Try to take a dip in the Bondi Iceberg pool which is a landmark here.
3. Great Barrier Reef
Gaint blue hole in the Great Barrier Reef
A haven for the underwater explorers and scuba divers, the Great Barrier Reef is the world’s largest barrier reef system. There are more than 2,900 coral reefs and hundreds of islands and cays here. You will be spellbound the sheer beauty this reef holds.
- Go scuba diving and explore the underwater world that still holds the mystery of life.
- Take a scenic boat ride and catch a grand sunset.
- You should also plan an air tour and get a complete view of this natural wonder.
For its tropical climate, easy charm and proximity to the Great Barrier Reef, Cairns is the highlight of the Australia holiday packages. It is a provincial but stylish city with its own charm.
- Take the old railway to Kuranda, or follow the Great Tropical Drive to White Water Rivers and the Atherton Tablelands.
- Don’t miss the serene Lizard islands.
- A trip to the Tjapukai Aboriginal National park, outside of the city will give you an in-depth look into the history of the oldest culture in the world.
Australia’s cultural capital is a charming city known for its shopping, fine restaurants and sports venues. It is one of the best places to visit in Australia for travellers who appreciate the good life.
- Catch panoramic views of the city at Eureka Tower.
- Every cricket lover should make a trip to the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
- If you want to scrounge for some trinkets and are worried about the budget, a fun offbeat thing to do here is to head to the Lost and Found Market.
- If nothing else, you should take a hot air balloon ride over the city of Melbourne.
Suggested Read: Top 5 Liveable Cities In The World
The fourth-largest city in Australia has a unique youthful vibe to it. This charming city is one of the highlights of Australia tour packages.
- Catch a stunning sunset at Cottesloe Beach.
- Take a cruise down the Swan River or catch live music concerts in inner-city enclaves.
- One of the places to visit in Australia is the Fremantle Prison, which is famous for the escape of six Irish convicts.
Brisbane’s year-round tropical climate, stunning landscapes and friendly locals have been the draw-cards for many enthusiastic visitors, making it a must visit on your Australia holidays.
- Enjoy a ferry ride on the Brisbane River.
- Walk through the beautiful City Botanic Gardens.
- Head to Daisy Hill Koala centre and get up close with these cuddly creatures and get a chance to educate yourself more about them.
This is the capital city of the Australian island of Tasmania, with an undying charm distinct to itself. A trip to this enthralling island and city is one of the best things to do in Australia.
- Visit the charming monuments of Georgian and Victorian architecture in the city.
- Don’t miss the stunning Mount Wellington.
- If you are in Hobart with your kids, take them to see the kangaroos, Tasmanian devils, Koalas among a variety of injured or abandoned wildlife creatures at the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary.
Darwin’s balmy weather and its rich cultural character make it one of the interesting places to visit in Australia. The city is a melting pot of food and cultures with lively outdoor festivals and markets.
- Shop at the interesting Mindil Beach Markets.
- Dine at the quaint waterfront restaurants.
- History buffs should go to the Darwin Military museums which is full of war exhibits and military paraphernalia.
Canberra showcases Australian culture and history with its superb monuments and galleries. The capital of Australia is surrounded by many beautiful parklands adding to its charm.
- Visit the stunning Parliament House building.
- Get a slice of history at Australian War Memorial.
- Science lovers can plan a day trip to the National Science and Technology Centre, where there are fun and interactive science experiments to try to out!
Camel Ride on Cable Beach
Broome is an exotic pearling town in the Kimberley region of Western Australia, with a history and culture as vibrant as its landscape.
- Ride a camel along Cable Beach and enjoy sunset there.
- Don’t miss a visit to exciting Pernululu National Park.
- Head to the only brewery in Broome and sip some authentic Australian Craft beer.
12. Alice Springs
Beautiful Alice Springs is a hub for Aboriginal art, pioneer history and quirky outback events like the Henley-on-Todd Regatta. It is one of the best places to visit in Australia for an aboriginal trail.
- One place you must visit in Australia is the Ayers Rock. It lies with the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park and is an iconic structure in Australia.
- Explore the rugged Kings Canyon.
- For the lovers of the creepy crawly, plan a trip to the Alice Springs Reptile Centre. The centre is known to have a large collection of snakes, lizards and other reptiles.
13. Gold Coast
Its A Surfer’s Paradise
Australia’s Gold Coast is a modern city of glittering high-rise buildings, built around superb beaches, including the world-renowned ‘Surfers Paradise’.
- Dive into the lively nightlife and shop in designer boutiques.
- Head to the hinterland for rainforest walks and spa retreats.
- Get ready to be grossed, amused and bewildered at the Ripley’s Believe it or Not Odditorium!
Suggested Read: Go On A Rendezvous In The Land Of Kangaroos – Australia
14. Great Ocean Road
The Twelve Apostles
Great Ocean Road offers one of the world’s most scenic coastal drives, along with the wild Southern Ocean. The scenic route is one of the best places to visit in Australia for a great road trip experience.
- Surf at Bells Beach along the way.
- Enjoy the winding road as your cruise through here.
- Head to see the amazing limestone stacks knows as the Twelve Apostles on the Great Ocean Road.
15. Kangaroo Island
Commune with native wildlife and majestic scenery on Kangaroo Island and experience the magic of being in the lap of nature there.
- Discover Australian sea lions on the beach, kangaroos, koalas, wallabies, penguins, echidnas and diverse birds.
- Jump into the blue waters and enjoy exploring the marine life as you go snorkelling and diving here.
16. Blue Mountains
The Blue Mountains World Heritage Area boasts of one million hectares of sandstone cliffs, bushland, waterfalls and eucalypt forest. Experience the rush of wilderness and connect with nature.
- Visit the stunning Wentworth Falls.
- Explore the fascinating underground Jenolan Caves.
- Be mesmerised by the unusual rock formation called the Three Sisters.
17. Byron Bay
Baron Bay Light house
One of the best places to visit in Australia is the charming town of Bryon Bay. Unwind to sweeping surf beaches, lush rainforests, great regional dining and new-age retreats.
- Experience the thrill of kayaking with dolphins.
- Drive down the scenic Pacific Coast Touring Route.
- If you want to relax and connect with your inner Chi, plan a day at the Crystal Castle where you can meditate, do some yoga and be surrounded by tranquillity.
18. Fraser Island
Embrace nature on World Heritage-listed Fraser Island, which is the largest sand island in the world. The tiny gem is one of the best places to visit in Australia to connect with nature.
- Hike through dense rainforest.
- Explore stunning sand cliffs.
- A must visit place is the Maheno Shipwreck.
19. Flinders Ranges National Park
Brachina George Geological Trail
Lift your soul in South Australia’s timeless Flinders Ranges and experience the true meaning of wilderness.
- Discover true Aboriginal and pastoral history of Australia.
- Get a chance to get close to some rare native wildlife.
- Take a hike on the Brachina Gorge Geological Trail.
20. Namadgi National Park
The Great Alpine Walk
Explore pristine bushland and fascinating history in Namadgi National Park, a section of the Australian Alps near Canberra. It is one of the best places to visit in Australia for a slice of wilderness.
- Explore the stunning Great Alpine Walk.
- Take the beautiful jungle trails and explore the wilderness.
Suggested Read: Wrapped And Packed For A Trip To Australia
This island boasts of Australia’s biggest expanse of inland waterways with its marvellous lakes and water bodies.
- Catch a sunset at Ninety Mile Beach.
- Undertake adventure activities of kayaking, snorkelling and fishing along the unspoilt beaches.
22. Kakadu National Park
Jim Jim Falls
Immerse yourself in World Heritage-listed Kakadu National Park, a natural and cultural wonder, which showcases the rich culture of the Aboriginals.
- Explore the Aboriginal art galleries for their traditions and history.
- Cruise the wetlands and see beautiful waterfalls.
The Big Hole
Be enthralled by the rugged gorges, epic waterways and an incandescent ocean of the Kimberley, one of the places to visit in Australia’s tiny western corner.
- Explore the Big Hole, which known to be the place to be during the Diamond Rush. Who knows you just may get lucky yourself and snag a shiny stone for yourself.
- Visit the beautiful Dampier Peninsula.
24. Australian Alps
There is a lot of adventure on offer in Australian Alps, from epic bushwalks, snow skiing and breathtaking scenery.
- For the adventure lovers, a trek on Mount Kosciuszko,
- Australia’s tallest peak, is a memorable experience.
Walk the epic Australian Alps Walking Track.
Go Snorkeling with the Marine life of the Coral Lagoon
The stunning Ningaloo Marine Park is home to 200 species of hard coral, 50 soft coral and over 500 species of fish.
- One of the best places to visit in Australia to experience marine beauty.
- Go snorkelling through the coral lagoons.
Relax yourself on the golden sands of Surfers Paradise, snorkel through the stunning Great Barrier Reef and drive to Fraser Island, Queensland offers a variety of options for the enthusiastic travellers.
- Visit the stunning Moreton Island.
- Head to Daintree Rainforest for a dose of wilderness.
- Get close to the amazing Humpback Whales as you go whale watching in Hervey Bay.
The Hotel Shamrock
The grand, opulent buildings, Chinese heritage and living museums of the charming Bendigo town are a visible legacy of the 1850s and 60s gold rush that transformed the region.
- Explore goldrush history, culture and colonial architecture at its various monuments and museums.
- Walk through the city to soak in its charm.
Fringed by green seas, tall forests and national parks, Albany offers lots of natural adventures, from fishing and diving to walking and whale-watching.
- Enjoy the ocean vistas from Torndirrup National Park.
- Walk to the top of Stony Hill for a stunning view of the city.
29. Coffs Harbour, Among best places to visit in Australia
Coffs Habour Beach side
The subtropical climate, tranquil rainforests and clean uncrowded beaches of Coffs Harbour, make it one of the best places to visit in Australia.
- Enjoy superb views of the city and beaches below from the Forest Sky Pier.
- Visit the spectacular Muttonbird Island.
With dazzling sunshine and great weather year-round; World Heritage-listed national parks; and historic gold rush towns, Townsville boasts of amazing attractions and landscapes.
- Take a walk to the top of Castle Hill for views of the city and surrounding islands.
- Experience the thrill of waterskiing, fishing and kayaking at Ross River.
- Head to the Wallaman Falls and be awestruck by Australia’s highest permanent single drop waterfall.
Best Places To Visit in Australia On Your Next Holiday - Thomas Cook
There is so much to see and do here in Australia. So to get you started, here are the absolute best places to visit in Australia!
Thomas Cook India