Whether you are a corporate yuppie, a student or a busy homemaker multitasking everything, a vacation is a perfect way to refresh and rejuvenate from the grind of the daily routine. There is nothing better than taking a break from the daily grind to spend some quality time with your loved ones at a beautiful holiday destination. There is no better place to start than our own country. Hence, we give you some of the best holiday destinations in India to be enjoyed as a family.
Best holiday destinations in India for families
1) New Delhi
With scores of museums, amusement parks, innumerable monuments, scenic gardens and unlimited scope for fun, New Delhi definitely scores big when we talk about top destinations for a family vacation in India.
- Shop at Delhi Haat for great handicrafts and eat the different food from the various Indian states there.
- Don’t miss the National Rail Museum, which is filled with some historical exhibits.
- Plan a great family hang out at Lodhi Gardens and explore the historical sites.
With its glorious princely past, rich cultural heritage and mighty forts and palaces, Rajasthan is a must-visit destination for family holidays in India. Each city in Rajasthan has its own unique beauty in its forts and palaces and elegant havelis.
- Take your children for amazing camel safaris in the sand dunes near Jodhpur and Jaisalmer.
- A wildlife safari in Ranthambore should be on your list of things to do. Stay overnight in the camp for a great experience.
- Experience bliss after visiting the holy towns of Pushkar and Ajmer.
The former ‘Summer Capital of the British’, Shimla is ideal to visit with children and families. It is a much sought after destination for Indian family holidays for the host of interesting activities and excursions it offers.
- Mall Road in Shimla is a great shopping hub for local handicrafts, woollens, jams and Tibetan markets.
- Make snow angels with your family on an excursion to Kufri and indulge in various snow adventure.
- Take your family for a joyful toy train ride.
Recommended Read: Top 10 India holidays that will fit your budget
If you want to enjoy beach family vacation, Goa is the best destination for it. The tiny Indian state is famous for its palm-fringed beaches and watersport activities. The charm of sun, sand, and sea will never fail to lure you.
- Don’t miss the fresh seafood at the shacks dotting the beaches.
- Explore the serene beaches of South Goa like Colva and Palolem.
- Indulge in exciting water sports like water skiing, boating, parasailing, etc.
Check our best pick of Goa holiday packages.
5) Mussoorie – Among top holiday destinations in India for families
Mussoorie, the captivating Uttarakhand hill station is very popular amongst the families for their India holidays. It has everything from scenic views, great food, shopping and entertainment options for families.
- Don’t miss Gun Hill which offers enchanting views of snow-capped Himalayas.
- Shop for spices and local handicrafts at the main market.
- A trip to the beautiful Kempty Falls should be on your list of places to explore.
Also Read: Top 50 hill stations In India
This tiny city in Maharashtra is a treasure trove of history and one of the best places in India for a family vacation. The city is filled with grandeur and beauty. Winter is generally the best time to visit as the weather is cool and perfect for sightseeing.
- Take your family to explore the historic and beautiful Ajanta Ellora Caves.
- Always wanted to see the Taj Mahal but could not plan a trip. Bibi Ka Maqbara, a Taj Mahal look-alike should be on your places to see in Aurangabad.
- Plan a safari and explore wildlife in the nearby Guatala Sanctuary.
7) Munnar – Best holiday destinations in India for family
We all know how beautiful Munnar is, so it makes perfect sense to visit this place with family. It seems a good idea to visit Munnar with kids as the place allows one to step-aside from the maddening rush of city life and spend time in the lap of nature.
- Camp here, hike here or walk through, you will be assured with moments that you can cherish all through your life.
- Don’t miss a visit to tea gardens and Tea Museum.
- You can see waterfalls at every corner here during monsoons.
Amritsar can be a good experience for families and one of the top places for a family holiday in India. The city is filled with some amazing attractions that will satiate your family’s wanderlust.
- One of the best things to do in Amritsar with your family is to head to the Wagah border and witness first-hand the Retreat Ceremony at the India-Pakistan border.
- Visit the Jallianwala Bagh, an epitome event in the fight for Indian Independence
- Head to the Golden Temple and be mesmerized by its sheer beauty.
Varanasi or Banaras, is the oldest city in the world. Located by the ghats of the holy Ganga, the city is a must visit for a splendid cultural experience. Symbolizing spiritualism, philosophy, and mysticism for thousands of years, Varanasi hypnotizes the vacationers with its magical chants and echoing aartis.
- A must do is a boat ride along the Ganges river for the real Banaras experience.
- Don’t miss the Ramnagar Fort with our family for its museum displaying vintage cars and royal palkis.
- Shop at Banaras Emporium for silk sarees, handicrafts and more.
Must Read: How to choose between India Tours and international tours
South India can be an exhilarating experience for your kids. Recognized by UNESCO World Heritage Site, Hampi boasts of rich history and can be a great experience for a family visit.
- A visit to the various temple ruins can be a very interesting experience.
- Don’t miss the Daroji Sloth Bear Sanctuary for a sighting of rare sloth bears.
- Explore some of the last remaining structures of the mighty kings and Queens that still stand tall in Hampi, including the Elephant Stables and Queen’s Bath.
Hope our list of top holiday destinations in India inspires you to plan a holiday soon. Check out our best options for India holidays.
10 Holiday Destinations in India for Families - Thomas Cook India Blog
There is no better place to start than our own country. Hence, we give you some of the best holiday destinations in India to be enjoyed as a family.