The quintessential Karnataka occupies a focal place in the tourism map of India. Locked between the west coast and Deccan Plateau, the state boasts of forests, hills, temples, caves beaches, riversides, lakes, coffee estates, waterfalls, ruins, and so much more. Here is a roundup of places to visit in Karnataka.
Places to Visit in Karnataka
Bangalore, a colourful city of culture and people, is one of the best tourist places in Karnataka. The city is a complete joy to stay and explore.
- Bangalore has pleasant and comfortable weather round the year. Best time to visit the city is during summers.
- Don’t miss the Butterfly Park of Bannerghatta Biological Park, Bangalore Palace and Tipu Sultan’s Palace.
- The local food is absolutly to die for!
Endowed with coffee estates full of aroma, luxuriant greenery dotting the mountains, and stunning waterfalls plunging down the misty mountains, Coorg is aptly called ‘Scotland of India’ and makes it one of the best places to visit in Karnataka.
- Bathe and feed the elephants at Dubare Elephant Camp.
- Don’t miss the Bylakuppe Monastery, the second biggest Tibetan settlement in India.
- Catch an exciting wildlife safari at Nagarhole National Park.
3. Hampi – One of the recommended places to visit in Karnataka
The historic UNESCO World Heritage Site showcases the glory and splendour of architecture of the Vijayanagara Kingdom. Hampi has almost 500 architectural structures in its ruins.
- Don’t miss the Monkey Temple, Archeological Museum and Vijaya Vittala Temple.
- Virupaksha Temple is an architectural marvel.
- The Riverside Ruins are breathtakingly beautiful.
4. Badami, Aihole and Pattadakal
Dusty roads, barren topography, red stone architecture, and rocky cliffs iconize the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Badami, Aihole and Pattadakal.
- Badami is famous for Badami Fort, Buddha rock-cut Caves, and Bhootnath Temple.
- Durga Temple, Lad Khan Temple and Archeological Temple in Aihole are a must visit.
- Virupaksha, Papanatha Temple and Galaganatha Shrine are major attractions in Pattadakal.
Kabini is one of the most picturesque and tranquil tourist spots in Karnataka, located along the bank of a river with the same name. It is one of the highlights of Karnataka tourism.
- Enjoy boating at Kabini River.
- Explore Kutta, which is covered with coffee and spice plantations.
- A visit to the surreal Kabini dam is should be on your list of places to visit in Karnataka.
6. Jog Falls
The stunning Jog Falls are the second highest waterfalls in the country. This is one of the favourites amongst the Karnataka tourist places.
- Don’t miss the Linganamakki Dam and Tunga Anicut Dam nearby.
- Exploring the Thavare Koppa Lion & Tiger Reserve is a must do.
Once in Mangalore, strolling and sunbathing at the beaches, trying out scrumptious seafood, gazing at sunsets and visiting the shipyard just cannot be missed. It is popular amongst Karnataka’s points of interest.
- Don’t miss the beautiful Tannirbhavi and Panambur beaches.
- Marvel at the various temples and chapels for their stunning architecture.
- Try out the delectable seafood.
Must Read: Top 50 Hill Stations In India
Sun-kissed beaches, charming temples, and majestic forts with practically no crowds, that’s Karwar for you.
- Explore the uncluttered Majali beach.
- Take a boat ride up to Kurumgad Island, and explore the remnants of Sadashivgad Fort.
- Known for excellent seafood, try some amazing dishes while lounging at the beach.
Travelers seeking complete solace visit this beautiful low-key, laid-back, and less-commercialized beach town, which has won over backpackers with its quiet charm.
- Don’t miss the Mahabaleshwar Temple and other temples for their great architecture.
- Catch the sunset at the beautiful Om Beach.
- Try water sports like boat rides, snorkelling, and parasailing here.
Dandeli is an incredible getaway amidst nature and adventure. This scenic hilly terrain surrounded by deciduous forests and wildlife habitat is a great adventure destination. This is definitely one of the best places to visit in Karnataka.
- Dandeli is known for adventure sports, night camps, nature walks, boating, and angling in Kali River.
- Don’t miss white water rafting on Kali river.
- A trip to the Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary is a must do.
Must Read: Holidays In India That Are Bound To Leave You In Awe
Top 10 Places to Visit in Karnataka - Thomas Cook India Travel Blog
The quintessential Karnataka occupies a focal place in the tourism map of India. Here is a roundup of places to visit in Karnataka.
Thomas Cook India