A city of palaces, gardens, lakes, silks and sandalwood, Mysore is dazzling with its historical, cultural and natural treasures. The city blends its rich historical heritage and splendour with a modern lifestyle, with ease. For your next trip, here are some of the best places to visit in Mysore.
Best Places to Visit In Mysore
1. Mysore Palace
The perfect symbol of opulence and grandeur, Mysore Palace was once the residence of Wodeyar dynasty rulers who ruled Mysore for seven centuries. The brilliant architecture and intricate craftsmanship make this incredible masterpiece one of the best places to visit in Mysore.
- Don’t miss the Dasara festival at the palace when it is beautifully decorated with a royal procession with elephants.
- Make a trip to the palace in the evenings when it’s illuminated by 98000 light bulbs!
- Best time to visit is from October to March.
2. Brindavan Gardens – One of the recommended places to visit in Mysore
Built across Krishnaraja Sagar Dam, Brindavan gardens are charming with magical fountain shows, manicured gardens and natural beauty. The gardens are a must visit place in Mysore.
- Enjoy Boat rides here with your partner.
- Talk a walk through the fruit orchards for a pleasant time.
- A sight of the musical fountain at the gardens will leave you mesmerized.
3. Chamundi Hills
On the outskirts of Mysore lies the beautiful Chamundi hills and is a must visit place in Mysore.
- On the top of Chamundi Hills, lies the beautifully sculptured Chamundeshwari temple. It is one of the must visit tourist places in Mysore.
- The architecture of the temple is unique and eye catching with 7 tier gopuram and 7 golden Kalash at the top.
- Don’t miss the beautiful 5 foot tall Nandi statue.
4. St. Philomena Church
Image Source: mysoretrendz.com
Built in Gothic style, the St Philomena church is one of the largest Cathedrals of South Asia and amongst the best of Mysore’s tourist places.
- The stained glass windows depict the paintings of famous events of Christ’s era.
- The church’s basement has catacombs below the main altar.
- Seek spirituality amidst the solitude of this pretty church.
5. Railway Museum
The railway museum in Mysore is second largest after the one in Delhi. The museum also puts on display the old locomotives and steam engines. The museum is one of the best places to visit in Mysore if you are on a trip with your family.
- A mini train takes the visitors on the ride through the premises of the museum.
- A section displays the luxurious travels of royal dynasties of Mysore which consists of dining rooms, kitchen and royal toilet.
- The museum is open from 10.00 AM to 5.30 PM.
Must Read: Top 10 Holidays In India For Adventure Lovers
6. Melody World Wax Museum
Image Source: bangalorefirst.in
The third largest art museum in India, Melody World is a one of its kind. The museum showcases a collection of over hundred wax statues and over three hundred music instruments.
- The instruments and bands showcased different genres such as Jazz, Pop, Chinese, Tribal, Rock, Punjabi Bhangra, Hip Hop etc.
- Pays tribute to the famous music artists from all over the world.
7. Karanji Lake
Karanji Lake, the largest lake in Karnataka is a beautiful and serene sight. It is one of the best places to visit in Mysore.
- The highlight of the lake is India’s largest walk through aviary that houses more than 70 species of birds.
- Entry fee is Rs 10 per adult.
- You can visit the lake all days of the week, except on Tuesdays.
8. Mysore Zoo – One of the best places to visit in Mysore for wildlife-lovers
Mysore Zoological Gardens offers a wonderful and exciting experience. This is one among the oldest zoos in India, constructed way back in 1892. Mysore tourism offers national parks, palaces, lakes and many more sites.
- The Zoo houses rare, exotic and endangered species.
- The Zoo is closed on Tuesdays. So it is best to plan your trip accordingly.
- Entry fee varies on weekdays and weekends.
9. Jagmohan Palace
The stunning Jaganmohan Palace was initially constructed as a royal residence but later was converted to an art gallery and one of the places to visit in Mysore.
- The gallery houses many valuable artefacts, artworks, antiques and some intricate masterpieces from South India.
- Raja Ravi Verma’s oil paintings and S.G.Heldnkr’s “Lady with the lamp” are also kept here on display.
Must Read: These Astounding Pictures Prove That India Is A Photographer’s Delight
10. Folklore Museum
It is situated in the lush green landscape of the University of Mysore premises. The erstwhile palace reflects the rich architectural splendour and the zenith of the artistic calibre of the bygone era.
- Don’t miss the interesting folk art and crafts displayed here.
- The palace turned university campus is beautiful and a must visit on your trip to Mysore.
Check out the best Mysore Holiday Packages of Thomas Cook.
10 Incredible Places to Visit in Mysore - Thomas Cook India Travel Blog
A city of palaces,silks and sandalwood, Mysore is dazzling with its natural treasures. Here are some of the best places to visit in Mysore.
Thomas Cook India