Think Greece, and the quaint white buildings topped with azure and framed by the Aegean Sea jumps into the mind in a heartbeat. But there’s much more to explore on your Grecian holiday. This little glimpse into what Greece has in store for you shall make you want to jet-set and go right off the bat! Here are the best places to visit in Greece.
Amazing Places to Visit in Greece
1. Athens: Among the top places to visit in Greece
Being one of the oldest city in the world, the capital of Greece is where mythological legends and Gods were born and one of the best places to visit in Greece.
- Acropolis Museum houses some of the ancient artefacts that have been excavated in Greece. Visiting hours differ on days and as per the seasons. So it is best to check before you plan a trip.
- The Parthenon is a symbol of Greek culture and should be on your list of places to see on your Greece holiday package.
- Exploring the Agora-Athens Central Market is a fun thing to do in Greece, once you have visited all the ancient structures. This market is full of fresh produce, meats and seafood and is open from 7 am to 1 pm.
Must Read: Top 30 Cities To See In Your Lifetime
2. Santorini: Among the most recommended places to visit in Greece
White washed walls with towering blue rooftops will greet you on the Greek Island of Santorini. This beach destination is a must visit place in Greece.
- Spark up a romance in Fira, where you will be surrounded by the blue waters of the Aegean Sea.
- Stop by the Donkey Brewery that serves some chilled beer, which makes for a refreshing drink after a long day.
- If you ever wanted to go sailing, Santorini is a great destination to explore the waters.
Mykonos is where you can let your hair down and indulge in fine-dining and listen to some elegant live music. The city’s modish hotels promise you a luxurious stay and are one of the best places to visit in Greece.
- One of the best things to do is to take a dip in the blue waters of Paradise beach, where you can just chill and spend an easy day on your Greece trip.
- Party all night, as Mykonos is known to hosts some of the best parties in the world.
- Indulge in some lip smacking sea food and experiment with authentic Greek Cuisine while in Mykonos.
Conservationist Gerald Durrell found his inspiration and wrote his one of his bestselling book based on the beautiful island of Corfu, and should be on your itinerary of places to see in Greece.
- Head to the Old Fortress that was built by the Venetians in the 16th Century.
- Make a trip to the Royal Palace: Museum of Asian Art, which houses some of the best collections of Japanese, Indian and Chinese paintings that once belonged to the British.
- Rent a mountain bike or a vehicle and explore the trails near Cape Asprókavos. You can also take up a 10-day hiking trail, which leads you from one island to another.
The second largest city of Greece, Thessaloniki is filled with history, culture, monuments and should be on your list of places to visit in Greece.
- One of the most happening places to visit in Greece, Thessaloniki has an electrifying nightlife and lots of fests that vacationers can enjoy.
- On a weary day, head to the ancient Turkish baths that can calm your nerves in one long soak.
- When in Thessaloniki, make your way to the ruins of Rentina, Volvi. Legend has it that this was once the crossroad where the East and the West, met.
With golden beaches, green valleys and architecture that tell a story of the days gone by, the Island of Knights, as Rhodes is popularly known, is one of the best places to visit in Greece.
- Being one of the largest medieval city in the world, explore the Old Town which is filled with churches, bridges and architecture that will transport you to the olden days.
- If you want a taste of nature, make a beeline to the Butterfly Valley. The nature park is open between 8.00 am to 6.00 pm.
- Walk under the shaded trees of Rodini Park, where you will be greeted with sights and sounds birds, peacocks and the soothing rhythm of streams.
The island of Paros is the perfect getaway from the hustle of the cities, making it an amazing Greece destination for a holiday.
- Best time to visit is in Spring when the waters are warm and the hills are still green.
- The 4th Century church, Our Lady of a Hundred Doors, is one of the most sacred churches of the Byzantine era.
- If you want to enjoy some water sports, you head to the beaches of Paros for some windsurfing, canoeing, kayaking and more.
Known to be home to the Ideon Cave, which is the birthplace of Zeus, Crete is one of the best places to visit in Greece.
- Legend has it that Greek God Zeus was born in Ideon Cave and should be explored when you are in Crete.
- Head to the Samarian Gorge, which is a National Park and take a hike on the trails as you go about exploring explore the flora and fauna of Crete.
- If you are in Crete with your kids, you can head up to Cretaquarium, a marine park that exhibits marine life. The park is open from 9.30 am to 9.00 pm.
This where singer Leonard Cohen came when he wanted to some peace and inspiration and will fill you with tranquil and serenity.
- Forget walking, try taking a donkey ride to explore the island of Hydra.
- If the land does not hold your interest, take a dive in the blue waters and explore the marine life by scuba diving.
- Enjoy some scrumptious seafood, moussaka on a cold evening after a day of exploring the island.
One of the lesser known Greek destinations, the island of Chios makes for an excellent place to spend your Greek holidays.
- Nea Moni monastery is one of the places to visit in Greece, as it houses mosaics, human skulls and other artefacts of the Byzantine Empire.
- Walk around the medieval villages of Pyrgi and Olympia, that have withstood the trials of time.
- Enjoy the perfect meal after a long day at some of the best restaurants in Chios.
Interested in travelling to Greece? Check our Greece tour packages.